RERU Immigration

Accompanying Spouse

Spouses, Partners and Dependent Children

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and are at least 18 years old, you can invite your spouse or dependent children to immigrate to Canada and obtain permanent resident status.

Sponsorship Types

You can apply for spousal sponsorship from inside or outside Canada. Either way, there are some benefits and drawbacks. We can help you choose the most suitable option for your needs. As a result of a recent change, if you sponsor your spouse from inside Canada, your spouse may receive an open work permit while the application is being processed. For your application to be approved, you, as a sponsor and your family members must meet several requirements.

Basic conditions

  • You should look after (ie food, clothing, shelter) and provide financial support for your family. Once your family members have found permanent residency, they should not seek financial assistance from the Canadian government.
  • Your family members must pass a medical exam, obtain a police certificate and undergo a background check

You may not be eligible if you:

  • Has been sponsored by your partner to immigrate to Canada within the past five years
  • Currently in bankruptcy
  • Not yet repaid in full or have violated the repayment terms of an immigration loan
  • Currently, receive financial support from the Government of Canada. This does not apply to disability assistance
  • Is currently in prison or has previously committed a crime or serious offense

Spousal sponsorship includes several terms that change frequently and we will be happy to assist you with the application process. Bring your loved ones to Canada and enjoy a bright future together!

Study or Work in Your