RERU Immigration

LMIA Exempt Category

In most cases, a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is required to apply for a Canadian work permit. Although it is usually required, it is not necessary for a Canadian employer hiring a temporary foreign worker (TFW) to obtain it. There are some types of Canadian work permits that are LMIA-free and this is possible through the International Mobility Program (IMP).

What is International Mobility Program (IMP)?

Employers can hire foreign workers without an LMIA through the International Mobility Program (IMP). If the foreign person brings larger economic, cultural or other competitive advantages to Canada or if the foreign national provides a mutual benefit to Canadians and permanent residents, the exemption is granted.

Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Exemption

The following individuals are LMIA-Exempt:

  • Workers covered by International Agreements
  • Provincial Nominees
  • Intra-company Transferees
  • Participants in an International Exchange Program
  • Academics
  • Co-op students
  • Charitable or Religious Workers
  • Full-time international students or foreign workers’ dependents, spouses and common-law partners

It’s vital to remember that being excluded from getting an LMIA doesn’t imply a foreign national isn’t required to get a work permit. It’s worth noting that all of the categories on the exempt list still necessitate obtaining a work permit in order to work in Canada.

If you’re unsure which LMIA-free category is best for your employer or employee, get in touch with us right away and we’ll help you figure it out.

Study or Work in Your Dream