RERU Immigration

open work permit

The Canadian Immigration Regulation allows spouses and common-law partners of temporary foreign workers and international students who wish to work in Canada to apply for an open work permit. International students can also get an Open Work Permit upon completing their studies in Canada through the Postgraduate Work Permit Program.

An Open Work Permit holder can work for any employer across Canada. An open work permit is not job-specific, however, the holder of an open work permit is not allowed to work in certain areas as stated in their work permit.

Only one of the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemptions can be used to give an open work permit to a foreign citizen.

A foreign national may apply for an open work permit outside Canada, at a port of entry or upon arrival in Canada, as per program requirements.

An open work permit is one that is not tied to a specific employer. Since this is not job-specific, you will not need the following when applying for your work permit:

  • Employment and Social Development Canada’s Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Proof that an employer has made an offer of employment through the employer portal and paid the employer compliance fee.

Criteria for eligibility

Depending on where you are when you apply for your work permit, you will need to meet specific requirements.

However, no matter where you apply or what type of work permit you seek, you must:

  • Prove to an official that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires
  • Show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members while you live in Canada and return home
  • Comply with the law and keep no record of criminal activity (we may ask you to provide a police clearance certificate),
  • There is no threat to Canada’s security
  • Be in good health and undergo medical tests if necessary
  • Do not plan to work for an employer listed with “ineligible” status on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions
  • Do not plan to work for an employer who regularly provides striptease, erotic dancing, escort services or erotic massage and
  • Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove that you can enter the country.

Study or Work in Your Dream