RERU Immigration

family sponsorship

You can invite your spouse or dependant children to immigrate to Canada and earn permanent residence status if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and are at least 18 years old.

Types of Sponsorship

Spousal Sponsorship can be applied for from within or outside of Canada. In any situation, there are benefits and drawbacks. We can assist you in selecting the best choice for your needs. Because of recent reform, if you sponsor your spouse from within Canada, your spouse or partner may be eligible for an open work visa while the application is processed. For your application to be granted, you, as a sponsor and your family members must fulfill a number of standards.

Basic Conditions 

  • You must provide food, clothing and housing for your family, as well as financial support. Your family members should not seek financial assistance from the Canadian government once they have been granted permanent status.
  • Each member of your family must have a medical examination, obtain a police certificate and undergo a background check.

You may not be eligible if:

  • You or your partner have been sponsored to immigrate to Canada in the recent five years.
  • You currently have a bankrupt status
  • An immigrant loan was not fully repaid or the terms of the loan were broken.
  • Currently receiving financial support from the Canadian government. This does not apply to assistance for people with disabilities.
  • Currently in prison or previously convicted of a felony or serious offense

Spousal Sponsorship is subject to a number of requirements that change on a regular basis and we would be happy to help you with the application process. Bring your loved ones to Canada so you can share a brighter future!

How do I sponsor a member of my family to come to Canada? You must meet specific qualifying criteria as the sponsor and the persons you sponsor must also meet certain criteria.


You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to become a permanent resident if you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen.

However, if the potential sponsor was sponsored as a spouse within the last five years or has been convicted of certain domestic or sexual offenses or is on social insurance, then the sponsor may not be eligible.

Child / Dependent

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can usually sponsor dependent children (including an adopted child) to become permanent residents.

Citizens of Canada with children born outside of the country may be able to apply for citizenship for their offspring. Some considerations, such as whether the Canadian citizen inherited citizenship by birth outside of Canada, preclude all Canadian citizens from being eligible.

Parent / Grandparent

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada are allowed to bring their parents or grandparents to live in the country permanently.

Both sponsors and parents/grandparents must meet certain criteria.

Requirements for Sponsor

  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • Physically reside in Canada.
  • For three years in a row, you must earn the minimum required income.

If you have a criminal record, you may not be able to sponsor a parent or grandparent.

  • Received financial support from the government for reasons other than a disability.
  • Have declared bankruptcy.
  • Failed to provide financial support to previously sponsored relatives.
  • Were convicted of a serious crime.
  • Are currently in prison.

Requirements for Parent/Grandparent

Medical, criminal and background checks must be completed for the parent or grandparent.

Parent / Grandparent

Canadian permanent residents or citizens may be eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent for permanent residence if they meet the income requirement and are successful in a lottery. Rules often change annually.

In general, the sponsor and his or her spouse, as well as any parents or grandparents being sponsored, must earn at least 30% more than the official Low Income Cut Off (LICO) for their family size. Three consecutive Notices of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency must prove income.

Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents can also apply for a Super Visa on behalf of their parents or grandparents. This is a visa that allows you to stay in the country for an extended period of time (TRV). The procedure for applying for a normal TRV is comparable.

Additional documentation includes:

  • A letter of invitation from a Canadian-based child or grandchild.
  • Documents demonstrating that the sponsoring child or grandchild meets the LICO requirement.
  • Proof of parental relationship with child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate that names them as a parent.
  • Proof of one-year emergency medical insurance coverage with a Canadian insurer.


When a family sponsorship from outside Canada is denied or a Canadian permanent resident is determined to have lost a permanent residence, there is a right of appeal (usually by spending more than 60 percent of the time outside Canada).

We can assist you to avoid appeals or if necessary, represent you in a sponsorship or immigration appeal.

Study or Work in Your Dream